The 'Three Sisters' & the Jameison Valley ...... one of the 'touristy' spots in the Blue Mountains National Park.

Whose 'Creative Corner' I hear you ask???

Hi, I'm Chris Bennett AKA 'Chris in Oz'. I live in the beautiful Blue Mountains west of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia (affectionately known as 'Oz' or 'The Land Down-Under'). I'm in my mid-50's, have been married for 30+ years to THE most wonderful man and I'm the PROUDEST MUM of 2 grown children. My DS is into photography and has taken some amazing shots. You can see some of them in 'Simon's Gallery'. My DD is a High School teacher who is committed to educating our youth of today. I was a Teacher/Assistant Principal in the field of Special Education for over 16 years until I retired in June 2004.

I've been involved in art and craft activities for most of my life and I became a 'stampaholic' and 'technique junkie' to 'save my sanity' after an injury in 2003. I began by making cards and slowly, but surely, became addicted to ATCs, hand-made books, altered books, boxes, bottles, tins, jigsaw puzzles and anything else that stands still long enough to be altered. I love texture and colour and I'm gradually stepping outside my comfort zone to experiment and explore other media and styles. Check out 'My Gallery' to see some more of my work.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I also take photos, I don't know how 'good' my photos are, but I just love to take them ...... so every now and then I might just sneak one in ...... I hope you don't mind!!! Well, not too much!!! LOL!!!

Friday, 21 May 2010

MIA!!! - AGAIN!!!

I'm sorry I haven't posted anything for over 3 months. We had a great deal of rain and our garage became flooded. What's the problem??? Well, the main problem is that my son has turned our garage into a 'bachelor pad' and many of his belongings were ruined due to the water damage. Luckily we were insured and his items have been repaired and/or replaced. We convinced him that it would be best for him to take over two of the rooms in the house. The resulting move took a few weekends and meant that all of my art & craft supplies had to be moved down to the garage to make the space. I was quite happy about this because all of my 'stuff' would finally be in one place and, one would hope, more accessible. The re-organisation of my 'studio' is still not complete, so not much 'art' has been happening. How can I be 'creative' when I can't find anything??? Grrr!!! I know I will eventually get 'there' and I can actually see progress, but it is slow and frustrating.

I suffered another set-back when my 96 year old Dad passed away on 17th March 2010. He would have turned 97 on 30th April, so he was about 6 weeks short of his birthday. Since then it's been difficult to come to terms with being an orphan. At the present time, I'm in Melbourne with my brother and sister, trying to pack up my parents home; imagine nearly 60 years of collecting (hoarding) having to be packed up and distributed throughout our family, the garbage bin and a range of charitable agencies.

I'm sincerely sorry for my absence, or if I owe you a swap (OWOH, DCI), but please rest assured I will be back and you will receive your swaps in due course. Please be patient with me as I come to terms with my loss and undertake the difficult task of packing up my parents' lives and childhood memories.

Until next time......


Hugz
Chris in Oz

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Oh Chris I'm so saddened to hear of the loss of your father. It doesn't matter the age you are when your parents pass on, the bereavement is just as hard as it would be if you were a child. Be thankful for the years you had to make those memories and just try to survive the distribution of the "stuff". Your friends will still be here when you can come back and join them but our thoughts will be with you.


Hugs XX
Barbara

Christine (Craftling) said...

I can't say it any better than Barbara did, Chris. So.. ditto to that! I have been meaning to reply to your email, but my life is also in a bit of a state of upheaval, too, but in happy ways. I do visit your blog on a daily basis though, for a few moments R&R, as I am addicted to that blinking game at the bottom of the page!! Thanks for that!! *lol*

Hope you get through it all soon, and the pain isn't quite as acute.

God bless.

Chris xx